The Oseh Shalom Life Long Learning Committee offers a broad range of programs for all interests and background. Programs include Jewish movies, cooking classes, book brunches, multi-part classes by our Rabbis, music, financial planning and more. And of course, we encourage you to come to weekly services and explore the Torah and what it means to you and your family. Many of our Saturday morning services are small and become discussion groups and opportunities to explore. Below is a list of 2019-20 programs. For the latest information and exact times of events, go to our Calendar.
- Sundays, October 27, November 3, 10, 17, December 8, 9:30-11:30 am: Beginner Hebrew reading crash course Level 2, taught by Oseh Shalom member Eileen Hollander.
- Mondays, October 28, November 4, 11, 18, 25, December 2, 9, 16, January 6 and 13, 7:15-8:45 pm: Melton Scholars course “Jews in America: Insiders and Outsiders,” with Rabbi Gary Fink, Rabbi Emeritus, explores the challenges of Jewish acculturation to American life. Lessons will explore education, the Three Generation Hypothesis, Anti-Semitism and the Holocaust, Zionism and the State of Israel, the Civil Rights Movement, and other issues that address American and Jewish culture and identity. 10 weekly sessions. $250 + textbook cost, some subsidies and scholarships available.
- Sunday, November 10, 9:30 am: “One Book” synagogue-wide read and brunch–Waking Lions by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen with book discussion by Professor Eric Zakim, Associate Professor of Hebrew Literature and Culture, University of Maryland College Park.
- Fridays, Nov 15, Dec. 20, Feb. 14, March 20, May 15, 6:30 – 7:45 pm: “Wine, Cheese, & Torah” study with Rabbis Daria or Josh Jacobs-Velde. Engage with the ancient sacred texts to enrich your life.
- Sunday, January 5, 9:30 – 11:00 am: “The Spiritual Life of Children,” with psychologist and Oseh Shalom member Dr. Brad Sachs.
- Sunday, January 12, 7:15 pm: Jewish Film Series begins with the Israeli movie “Footnote,” a tragicomic tale of rival father-and-son Jewish scholars that won Israel’s 2012 “Oscar” for best picture. Discussion and dessert to follow.
- Sundays, January 26 and February 2, 9:30 am: “Introduction to Reconstructing Judaism” with Oseh Shalom member John Reihl and other members.
- Sundays, February 16, 23, March 1 and 8, 9:30 – 11:00 am: “Jewish Meditation: an Antidote for the Age of Distraction” with Rabbi Josh Jacobs-Velde.
- Monday, February 24, 7:15 pm: Jewish Film Series, “Cuba’s Forgotten Jewels,” a documentary that explores the little known story of Jewish refugees who escaped Nazi-occupied Europe and found a safe haven in Cuba, with dessert and discussion.
- Friday night, February 28 and Saturday morning, February 29: Scholar-in-residence weekend with acclaimed Bible scholar Dr. Tamar Kamionkowski, Associate Professor of Bible, Reconstructionist Rabbinical College.
- Sundays, March 15 and 22, 10:00 – 11:30 am: Rabbi Emeritus Gary Fink, “Moses Maimonides (1135-1204): Rabbi…Radical…Revolutionary…Reconstructionist?”
- Sunday, March 29, 6:00 pm: Jewish Film Series,“ Chewdaism: A Taste of Jewish Montreal,” a funny, heimish and enlightening historical and cultural tour of Jewish Montreal centered around its legendary foods by comedians Jamie Elman & Eli Batalion, with pre-show deli dinner.
- Monday, April 20, 7:00 pm: Yom HaShoah commemoration with other synagogues, at Temple Isaiah.
- Sunday, May 3, 10:00-11:30 am: “Tips for Traveling to Israel–On and Off the Beaten Path,” with Oseh Shalom member Lenny Bers, a frequent traveler to Israel.
We welcome ideas and committee members. We are always looking for ways to better include all our members. Have an idea? please contact us. We are richer for all our members. For details or questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rosh Chodesh Women’s Discussion Group
Rosh Chodesh is a Women’s Discussion group open to members and non-members interested in discussing range of Jewish topics, serious and light as well as field trips and an annual women’s seder. We meet at Oseh or in homes of members on the first Sunday of the month at 2 pm but occasionally have evening programs as well. Join our Google group to find out more. No obligation to host or come to meetings by joining. Questions? Want to get on the list? email Melody Magnus: email@example.com.