Lifelong Learning Program
The Oseh Shalom Life Long Learning Committee offers a broad range of programs for all interests and background. Programs include Jewish movies, cooking classes, book brunches, multi-part classes by our Rabbis, music, financial planning and more. And of course, we encourage you to come to weekly services and explore the Torah and what it means to you and your family. Many of our Saturday morning services are small and become discussion groups and opportunities to explore.
We welcome ideas and committee members. We are always looking for ways to better include all our members. Have an idea? please contact us. We are richer for all our members.
2017-2018 Lifelong Learning Calendar
- Sundays, October 22, 29, November 5, 12, and December 10, 7:00 pm: Rabbi Josh Jacobs-Velde, Embracing Judaism as a Spiritual Practice: Tools for Living an Inspired, Connected and Joyous Life.
- Sunday, November 5, 10 am: “One Book” brunch with author Hillary Stern on her novel The Garment Maker’s Daughter, a saga about a young Jewish immigrant who becomes a shirtwaist-maker and suffragette.
- Sunday, November 19, 10 am: Melody Magnus, member and chef extraordinaire, “Chicken Soup: Jewish Roads to Health,” history of how classic Jewish dishes really are healthy and how you can make them more so, including samples to taste and recipes to take home.
- Sunday, December 3, 10 am: Rabbi Emeritus Gary Fink, “The Ethics of Life and Death.”
- Sunday,, December 17, 10 am: Rabbi Emeritus Gary Fink, “Jewish Views of Aid in Dying.”
- Winter/Spring class with Rabbis Josh and Daria Jacobs-Velde, date and topic to be announced.
- Monday, January 8, 7:15 pm: Jewish Film Series begins with, “The Women’s Balcony,” a comedy about a rift between the women and men at an orthodox Jerusalem synagogue about repairs to the women’s balcony.
- Tuesday, February 6, 7:15 pm: Jewish Film Series, “Carvalho’s Journey,” a real life 19th century American western adventure story about Solomon Carvalho an observant Sephardic Jew and his life as a groundbreaking photographer, artist and pioneer in American history.
- Sunday, March 11, 7:15 pm: Jewish Film Series, “Streit’s Matzo and the American Dream,” with post-film dessert. This film chronicles the history of the Streit’s Matzo factory and fifth generation family business that for nearly a century made matzo on the Lower East Side.
- Monday, March 19, 7:00 pm: Rabbi Gordon Fuller, “Interfaith Relationships and Parenting.”
- Wednesday, April 11, 7:00 pm: Yom HaShoah commemoration, talk by Rima Faber Wolf about Jan Karski, Polish resistance fighter and World War II political figure who she knew in the 1950-1960s.
For details or questions, contact email@example.com.
For details or questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Rosh Chodesh Women’s Discussion Group
Rosh Chodesh is a Women’s Discussion group open to members and non-members interested in discussing topics related to Jewish Women, ranging from history and theology to personal relationships and traditions. We meet at Oseh or in homes of members on the first Sunday of the month at 2 pm but occasionally have evening programs as well. Join our Google group to find out more. No obligation to host or come to meetings by joining. Questions? Want to get on the list? email Melody Magnus: email@example.com.