Please help Oseh achieve its mission of Tikkun Olam, Healing the World, by helping with one or more the following Mitzvot. Additional ideas are welcome. The Social Action Committee wants you to help make the world a better place by taking responsibility for the change we can each make.
“You are not obligated to finish the work, but neither are you free to desist from it.” (Pirkei Avot/ the Teaching of our Ancestors)
To help in the wider world, through Oseh:
- Volunteer with the Oseh Good Neighbor Refugee Resettlement Program. This is a new initiative that we have taken on at Oseh. Contact Eileen Hollander firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Support Winter Shelter, Laurel’s traveling homeless shelter, by cooking meals, serving as a chaperone, staying overnight, driving or other related Mitzvahs. Oseh does this huge mitzvah the last week of January for women and the last week of February for men. See more about winter shelter below, by far our largest undertaking. We really need everyone to make this work. See more below.
- Volunteer at Elizabeth House Food Kitchen in Laurel the first Monday of the month from 6 to 7:30. Kids welcome. Questions? Email email@example.com
- Support local food pantries year round by donating cans, boxes or bags of non-perishable food and leaving it in the Oseh coat closet and taking donations to the pantries. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- August: Bring in school supplies in August to help needy kids get a good start at school.
- Before/By Yom Kippur: Pick up a bag at the synagogue and return it by Yom Kippur, filled with canned/dried food and other items that we donate to the local LARS organization.
- December: Support our Adopt-a-Family Holiday party by buying and wrapping gifts for a truly needy family. Each year a truly needy family, often living in a motel room or tent, gives us there wish list. Often this is the first time these kids have had more than one pair of shoes to wear or a coat that’s not torn and too small
- January: Last week of Jan: Winter Shelter @ Oseh. (Details below)
- February: Last week of Feb: Winter Shelter @ Oseh. (Details below)
- Spring: Help plant, weed and water the Oseh Garden. (Contact Renee Richards, RRichards@Oseh-Shalom.org)
If contact information is not listed above, call or email the office to find out who the coordinators.
Winter Shelter Program at Oseh
Laurel does not have a homeless shelter. To fill this gap, Oseh and Laurel area churches created Winter Shelter to provide overnight accommodations to homeless adults from December thru March. Women and men are hosted separately and are pre-screened to avoid problems. We encourage you to bring your children to meet our guests. Oseh hosts 6-10 women the last week of January and 25-35 men the last week of February. Volunteers are needed for the following:
- Buy ingredients and make dinner in our kitchen from 5 pm to 7 pm
- Check-in our pre-screened guests and keep them company from 6:30 pm to 10 pm, watching TV, chatting, cleaning up dinner, etc.
- Stay overnight to handle an unlikely emergency. You can take turns sleeping with the other two chaperones.
- Picking up and dropping off guests from nearby locations in Laurel
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead