Prayer (in Hebrew, “tefillah”) is one of the pathways to the Divine Presence. Our tradition views prayer as a sacred obligation. Tefillah strengthens the community, and fills individual spiritual needs.
There is great power in prayer. Tefillah (prayer) can bring:
- feelings of uplift and joy
- gratitude and thanksgiving for life’s blessings
- renewal of emotional, intellectual, and physical energy
- comfort to one distressed and in pain
- insight to one seeking aswers
- clarity of vision to one seeking a path out of chaos and confusion
- healing to a broken spirit
- motivation to find God’s Presence through acts of tikkun olam (the repair of our world).
- connection with the Presence of God – to that which is greater than ourselves, the spirit that binds the universe together from the tiniest atoms to the farthest reaches of the cosmos.
(c) Rabbi Emeritus Gary S. Fink