The Oseh Shalom Life Long Learning Committee offers a broad range of programs for all interests and background. Programs include Jewish movies, cooking classes, book brunches, multi-part classes by our Rabbis, music, financial planning and more. And of course, we encourage you to come to weekly services and explore the Torah and what it means to you and your family. Many of our Saturday morning services are small and become discussion groups and opportunities to explore. Below is a list of 2019-20 programs. For the latest information and exact times of events, go to our Calendar.
2020-2021 Lifelong Learning Calendar
Due to the pandemic, all Lifelong Learning programs are currently scheduled for presentation by Zoom. Live programing could resume if conditions allow.
- Mondays, October 12 – December 14, 7:30 – 9:00 pm: Rabbi Emeritus Gary Fink teaches Melton Scholars course “Jewish Medical Ethics: A 21st Century Discussion.” Ten weekly sessions. $295 includes materials.
- Mondays, October 19, 26, and November 2, 7:00 – 8:30 pm: “Making Jewish Prayer Real” with Rabbis Daria & Josh.
- Sunday, November 8, 2:30 – 4:00 pm: “The Spirituality of Children, Part 2,” with psychologist and Oseh Shalom member Dr. Brad Sachs.
- Tuesdays, December 1, January 5, Thursday, February 4, 7:00 – 8:15 pm: “Essential Torah Texts: Genesis,” with Rabbis Daria and Josh.
- Sunday, January 10, 7:15 pm: Jewish Film Series moved to February 21.
- Sunday, January 24, 3:00 – 4:30 pm: “Exploring and Cooking Tu B’Shevat,” cooking talk, demo, and recipes with Susan Barocas, chef, cooking instructor and foodie extraordinare.
- Sunday, January 31, 7:00 – 9:30 pm: “Israel: Strategic Challenges and Opportunities,” Benjamin Krasna, Deputy Head of Mission of Israel to the United States.
- Mondays, February 1, 8, 15, 22 and March 1, 7:00 — 8:30pm: “A Primer on the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: a Conflict Resolution Approach,” taught by Prof. Ned Lazarus, George Washington University, Elliot School of International Affairs. $50 for the course.
- Sunday, February 21, 5:00 pm: Jewish Film Series, “Abe,” the story of a
- 12-year-old boy from Brooklyn who cooks to unite his half Israeli and half Palestinian family.
- Spring 2021, dates TBA, “Beginner Hebrew Reading Crash Course,” taught by Oseh Shalom member Eileen Hollander.
- Thursday, April 8 evening: Yom HaShoah commemoration with other synagogues.
- Sunday, April 18, 3:00 – 4:30 pm, “Tips for Traveling to Israel—On and Off the Beaten Path,” with Oseh Shalom member Lenny Bers, a frequent traveler to Israel.
- Sundays, May 2 and 9, 10:00 – 11:30 am: Rabbi Emeritus Gary Fink, “Moses Maimonides (1135-1204): Rabbi…Radical…Revolutionary…Reconstructionist?” (moved from December).
- Tuesday, May 11, Wed, May 19, Tuesdays, May 25, June 1-8, 7:00 – 8:30 pm: “A Primer on the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: A Conflict Resolution Approach,” taught by Prof. Ned Lazarus, George Wasnington University, Elliot School of International Affairs. $50 for the course.
For details and questions about the Lifelong Learning programs, contact Judy Katz at email@example.com.
Rosh Chodesh Women’s Discussion Group
Rosh Chodesh is a Women’s Discussion group open to members and non-members interested in discussing range of Jewish topics, serious and light as well as field trips and an annual women’s seder. We meet at Oseh or in homes of members on the first Sunday of the month at 2 pm but occasionally have evening programs as well. Join our Google group to find out more. No obligation to host or come to meetings by joining. Questions? Want to get on the list? email Melody Magnus: firstname.lastname@example.org.