The Oseh Shalom Life Long Learning Committee offers a broad range of programs for all interests and background. Programs include Jewish movies, cooking classes, book brunches, multi-part classes by our Rabbis, music, financial planning and more. And of course, we encourage you to come to weekly services and explore the Torah and what it means to you and your family. Many of our Saturday morning services are small and become discussion groups and opportunities to explore. Below is a list of 2019-20 programs. For the latest information and exact times of events, go to our Calendar.
2020-2021 Lifelong Learning Calendar
Due to the pandemic, all Lifelong Learning programs are currently scheduled for presentation by Zoom. Live programing could resume if conditions allow.
- Mondays, October 12 – December 14, 7:30 – 9:00 pm: Rabbi Emeritus Gary Fink teaches Melton Scholars course “Jewish Medical Ethics: A 21st Century Discussion.” Ten weekly sessions. $295 includes materials.
- Mondays, October 19, 26, and November 2, 7:00 – 8:30 pm: “Making Jewish Prayer Real” with Rabbis Daria & Josh.
- Sunday, November 8, 2:30 – 4:00 pm: “The Spirituality of Children, Part 2,” with psychologist and Oseh Shalom member Dr. Brad Sachs.
- Tuesdays, December 1, January 5, Thursday, February 4, 7:00 – 8:15 pm: “Essential Torah Texts: Genesis,” with Rabbis Daria and Josh.
- Sundays, December 6 and 13, 10:00 – 11:30 am: Rabbi Emeritus Gary Fink, “Moses Maimonides (1135-1204): Rabbi…Radical…Revolutionary…Reconstructionist?”
- Sunday, January 10, 7:15 pm: Jewish Film Series begins with “Abe,” the story of a 12-year-old boy from Brooklyn who cooks to unite his half Israeli and half Palestinian family.
- Sunday, January 24, 3:00 – 4:30 pm: “Exploring and Cooking Tu B’Shevat,” cooking talk, demo, and recipes with Susan Barocas, chef, cooking instructor and foodie extraordinare.
- Sunday, January 31, 7:00 – 9:30 pm: “Israel: Strategic Challenges and Opportunities,” Benjamin Krasna, Deputy Head of Mission of Israel to the United States.
- Mondays, February 1, 8, 15, 22 and March 1, 7:00 — 8:30pm: “A Primer on the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: a Conflict Resolution Approach,” taught by Prof. Ned Lazarus, George Washington University, Elliot School of International Affairs. $50 for the course.
- Sunday, February 21, 7:15 pm: Jewish Film Series, “Jewish Soldiers in Blue and Gray,” a documentary that explores the little known history of the 10,000 Jewish soldiers who fought in the Civil War on both sides of the battlefield.
- Spring 2021, dates TBA, “Beginner Hebrew Reading Crash Course,” taught by Oseh Shalom member Eileen Hollander.
- Sunday, March 14, 7:15 pm: Jewish Film Series, “Chewdaism: A Taste of Jewish Montreal,” a funny, heimish and enlightening historical and cultural tour of Jewish Montreal centered around its legendary foods by comedians Jamie Elman and Eli Batalion.
- Thursday, April 8 evening, Yom HaShoah commemoration with other synagogues.
- Sunday, April 18, 3:00 – 4:30 pm, “Tips for Traveling to Israel—On and Off the Beaten Path,” with Oseh Shalom member Lenny Bers, a frequent traveler to Israel.
- Mondays, April 19, 26 and May 3, 7:00 — 8:30 pm: “How Torah Study Helps with Civil Discourse,” with Rabbi Daria.
For details and questions about the Lifelong Learning programs, contact Judy Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We welcome ideas and committee members. We are always looking for ways to better include all our members. Have an idea? please contact us. We are richer for all our members. For details or questions, contact email@example.com.
Rosh Chodesh Women’s Discussion Group
Rosh Chodesh is a Women’s Discussion group open to members and non-members interested in discussing range of Jewish topics, serious and light as well as field trips and an annual women’s seder. We meet at Oseh or in homes of members on the first Sunday of the month at 2 pm but occasionally have evening programs as well. Join our Google group to find out more. No obligation to host or come to meetings by joining. Questions? Want to get on the list? email Melody Magnus: firstname.lastname@example.org.